The purpose of this study is to understand how different types of e-cigarettes affect the way smokers use tobacco products. Participants will complete three in-person visits. Prior to the second visit, they will be required not to smoke after midnight on the night before the visit. At this visit, the participant will try two e-cigarette e-liquids or one other tobacco product, called a heated tobacco product. Participants have a 75% chance of being assigned to try the two e-liquids and a 25% chance of being assigned to try the heated tobacco product. They will complete a task where they will choose between the product(s) they sampled, a cigarette, or nothing. Then they will receive one of these products to take home for one week. We are interested in how the product the participants are given changes their tobacco use. After they leave the visit, they are not required to use the product and it is entirely up to them if and how they use it. Participants will complete three study visits, and daily electronic diaries across the two weeks of the study. Participation will last approximately two weeks. Both e-cigarettes and heated tobacco products are likely less harmful than combustible cigarettes, but we are unsure how harmful, or how safe they might be. Side effects from using the e-cigarette/heated tobacco product are generally rare and mild, and may include: nausea, headache, heartburn, irritability, anxiety, headache, cough, or trouble sleeping. There is no direct benefit for participating. Participation will aid researchers to determine how different types of tobacco products affect smoking behavior.
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is beginning to regulate tobacco products in ways that promote the use of less harmful products, such as electronic cigarettes, among established adult smokers. In this study, we will evaluate whether using cigarette inserts that contain messages about lower harms form vaping vs smoking will be effective in getting smokers to switch from cigarettes to vaping. All participants will be given a JUUL starter kit and randomized to receive a 2 week supply of their preferred cigarette brand either without (control group) or with inserts that contain harm reduction messages (experimental group). We will evaluate whether the harm reduction messages influence attitudes and beliefs that are likely to promote smoking cessation and switching to e-cigarettes.
The goal of this research is to understand how different types of e-cigarettes affect tobacco use. Participants will either be assigned to a control group that does not receive an e-cigarette or be assigned to receive one of two different types of e-cigarettes to sample in the lab and at home. We will measure participants' smoking and smoke exposure during the study.
Nicotine addiction is a chronic, relapsing brain disorder and although it is the leading cause of preventable premature death in the US, ~20% of adults smoke and among those that try to quit, the majority relapse.Research suggest that nicotine addiction disrupts the working in the brain involved in motivation and reward. The overarching goal of this proposal is to utilize clinical neuroscience to investigate the effects of Mindfulness Oriented Recovery Enhancement (MORE) on modifying behavior to help treat nicotine addiction.
Currently recruiting cigarette smokers (any level of smoking) as well as healthy controls for a study comparing breath carbon monoxide (CO) monitors. Breath carbon monoxide can be used as an indicator of recent smoking and is measured by CO monitors. Breath CO can also be used to determine abstinence from smoking. There are several breath CO monitors commercially available, including a next generation model that connects directly to a smartphone and interfaces with a mobile application. Given the importance of comparability between different CO monitors, this study involves a comparison between three monitors to assess their agreement in CO readings and detecting abstinence from smoking. Participants will present for 10 brief study visits to complete CO breath tests using three different monitors. These study visits will last approximately 10-15 minutes.
Many survivors of lung cancer (up to 80%) have chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), a disease characterized by breathlessness and fatigue. A 3-month intervention targeting multiple behaviors (cigarette smoking and sedentary behavior will be tested with survivors of localized lung cancer and their family members or close friends (dyads). This study will test the feasibility of the intervention using a 3-month, single arm, proof-of-concept study.
The aim is to assess the link between marketing proxies for filter ventilation (product descriptors, packaging) and risk beliefs. Ventilation is not directly promoted to consumers; rather its effects are communicated through the use of descriptive terms such as Light, Mild, and Low tar, often linked to lighter colors. Since the key terms have been restricted and replaced with others, it is important to determine which factors continue to contribute to false relative risk beliefs. We will conduct semi-structured interviews common in marketing research to test the influence of pack
descriptors and colors (as proxies for filter ventilation) on product risk perceptions and intention
The broad objective of this proposal is to use fMRI methods to conduct preliminary investigation of the effects of Clavulanic Acid on neurocognition and smoking withdrawal in abstinent cigarette smokers. This project will involve collecting data from a total of approximately 40 adult smokers.
The purpose of this project is to understand how different e-cigarettes influence their likeability and use among current smokers who try using e-cigarettes. Participants will receive an e-cigarette to sample over a three week period. During this time period they will complete daily electronic diaries and weekly lab visits. The results from this information will help us understand how different types of e-cigarettes are likely to influence cigarette and e-cigarette use.
This is a research study to find out if a smoking cessation medication, varenicline, is effective when given to smokers, remotely, as a one-time, 4-week sample.
Participants will either receive a sample of varenicline, or not. This will be decided randomly. The medicine will be mailed to participants and participants will complete 5 study contacts in addition to completing daily diaries for the first 4 weeks of the study. Participation will last 3 months.
Varenicline is a well-established medication that helps smokers quit. If participants are in the group that receives varenicline, it may help them too. But they are not required to use it, and it is completely up to them to use as they wish. Side effects from taking varenicline might include insomnia, headache, or nausea. Some individuals report negative changes in mood. Most smokers who use varenicline do not experience these symptoms.