Alpha-1 Antitrypsin (AAT) is a naturally occurring protein involved in the protection of lungs from inflammation. A mutation in the AAT gene (a change in the body's genetic instructions on how to make AAT) causes it to be made incorrectly and very little of it gets into the bloodstream. Severe AAT deficiency (lack of AAT in the blood) causes emphysema, which causes holes in the lungs. This study is being done to learn more about the safety, tolerability and effectiveness of VX-814 in patients with Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency. There are four groups in the study, one placebo group and three treatment groups with varying doses. This study is double blind with an 80% chance of being assigned to a treatment group and a 20% chance of being assigned to placebo.
The primary purpose of conducting this study is to see if TLD (Targeted Lung Denervation) Therapy in addition to standard optimal medical care is better at reducing a moderate or severe exacerbation (also known as a COPD flare-ups or worsening of symptoms) and related hospitalizations than optimal medical care alone. TLD Therapy is done by passing a bronchoscope, with a special device (catheter) inserted through it, into the lungs. This special catheter delivers a type of electrical energy called radiofrequency (or RF) energy to the nerves located on the outside of the airways. As with many bronchoscopic procedures, this is done while under anesthesia. TLD Therapy does cause a permanent change to a person's lungs. To test this, participating patients will be randomly assigned (in a 1:1 ratio) to receive one of two different treatments, either TLD Therapy in addition to optimal medical care or optimal medical care alone.
Some sites, including MUSC, will also be collecting 3 airway brushes to look at inflammatory biomarkers in the lungs. A biomarker is anything that can be used as an indicator of a particular disease state.
If you choose to participate in this study, it is estimated that you will be involved in this study for approximately 62 months. Participation will take around 11 clinical site visits and 9 follow up phones calls over a period of 5 years. The participant and person obtaining consent will sign the informed consent form and the participant will receive a copy before any study procedures occure.
Alpha-1 antitrypsin (Alpha-1, AAT) deficiency is an inherited disease which results from a defect in the alpha-1 gene. Severe AAT deficiency causes emphysema predominant chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). This study is designed to test the effectiveness of an drug (Alvelestat) on lung damage caused by Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency. This is blinded study and there is a 50% chance of receiving a placebo.
Alpha-1 Antitrypsin (AAT) is a naturally occurring protein involved in the protection of lungs from inflammation. A mutation in the AAT gene (a change in the body's genetic instructions on how to make AAT) causes it to be made incorrectly and very little of it gets into the bloodstream.This results
in the lung damage known as emphysema. ARO-AAT is an investigational drug, which means that it is not approved by the Food and Drug Administration. ARO-AAT works by interrupting a step in the production of AAT. In a patient with AATD, this would stop the mutated protein from being made. This study is being carried out to see how safe and well tolerated ARO-AAT is, and to see if low, medium and high doses of the study treatment will decrease Alpha-1 Antitrypsin in the blood and in the liver compared to a placebo, or dummy injection. The Study medication is given via injection on Day 1, 29 and 133 and then every 84 days. The study includes approximately 17 visits over a period of 24 month. Compensation will be provided for study site visits. .
The RELIANCE study is comparing two drugs, Roflumilast and Azithromycin, to treat COPD. Participants will be randomized to either take either Roflumilast or Azithromycin during the course of the study. Participation will last up to 3 years depending on when participants join. People who enroll at the beginning of the study will participate for approximately 3 years and people who enroll later in the study will be enrolled for a shorter amount of time. The study team will follow all participants for a minimum of 6 months.
There will be one in person visit at the beginning of the study where participants will be randomized to either take Roflumilast or Azithromycin. The remainder of the study will involve one follow-up phone call at 1 week and follow up phone calls every 3 months. The 3 month follow up phone calls will determine if there have been any hospitalizations, if the study participant is still taking their prescribed study medication and determine if contact information is still correct. The 3 month follow up questions can also be completed via an online patient portal if the patient prefers this method over receiving phone calls.
Lymphangioleiomyomatosis (LAM) is a rare lung disease that is caused by genetic mutations. It results in the uncontrolled growth and proliferation of an atypical smooth muscle cells in the lung. These cells invade airways, blood vessels, and lymph vessels, and limit the flow of air, blood, and lymph, respectively. The source of the cells is unknown, but available evidence indicates they arise from an extrapulmonary source. Their aberrant behavior is due to mutations in tuberous sclerosis genes that results in mTOR activation. Respiratory failure, lung collapse (pneumothorax), and pleural effusions (chylothorax) are hallmarks of the disease. This study will evaluate the safety and durability of the mTOR inhibitors sirolimus and everolimus, which are FDA approved medications for prevention of rejection of transplanted organs, in stabilizing or improving lung function in people in LAM.
Individuals with alpha-1 antitrypsin (AAT) deficiency (AAT blood level lower than 11 micro-moles) and emphysema will be invited to participate in this study. This study will determine the impact of IV Alpha-1 proteinase inhibitor (Alpha-1 MP) on the progression of emphysema in patients with AAT deficiency. A participant in this study would receive either GLASSIA dosed at 60mg/kg with a high particle load or GLASSIA dosed at 60mg/kg with a low particle load. Neither the study investigators nor the participants will know which batch of drug is actual given to the participant. Participants will have the IV therapies given to them weekly for 25 weeks, with some infusions given at MUSC and some at home. Safety and side effects of all therapies will be monitored.